Monday, February 4, 2008

Troubles in the World

What worries me the most? Well, there are a lot of things that worry me in this world. As teenagers of a country with somewhat of a unbiased network of accessing information, whether it be by news, telephone, and informational books and websites, we are exposed to many problems on our planet. But the most important problem with this world, in my opinion, is this human nature of insensitivity.
It is this distance between people that I believe is the basis of all problems in this world, either in the past of the present. Don't believe me? Look at slavery in England and the United States; The white people treated black people as if they weren't even human, more like scum. Some white people of that time even stated that "negros were not people" in their eyes. Where did this belief spawn from? How could it be possible for humans to do such atrocious things to one another? It is this insensitivity that was sprouted within them, that helped them to be unable to view these people as neighbors, or their own children, but more as cattle ready for the slaughter house. This ability to distance themselves from the reality of human lives being destroyed enabled them to do such terrible things.
More and more, I see people who are so unbelievably disconnected and insensitive to one another, that it makes my stomach churn. Today, there are genocides, and predjudices run rampid, whether they are racial, religious, cultural, economical, or social class predjudices. How could the Hutus of Rwanda massacre hundreds of thousands of Tutsi and Tutsi-sympatizing Hutus? It was the distance they placed between the two due to social standing based on 15th century social statuses. Just that difference allowed them to desensitize themselves from them, and treat the Tutsis as weeds rather than real humans.
Ever since I was little, I have always been obnoxiously sensitive to other people and their feelings, being in tune with the way they are thinking and responding without thinking about it. At the fourth of July parade, I would always make sure everyone else got candy first, and would cry when there was none left for me. I thought as a young girl, that people would share and give just like I loved to do. My parents had to explain to me that people tend to only do things for themselves in this world, and that I had some sort of sensitivity gift or something. Whatever it was they told me, I thought it was a crummy thing for me to have. It stopped me from getting candy! As a older person, I can appreciate this, and have become a pretty good listener, I hope, and maybe more in tune with others emotions and needs.
Though sensitivity comes more readily to some than others, I believe that as humans, we have the ability to open up to others. As more intelligent mammals, we are able to listen and look for people's emotions, and be able to walk in other people's shoes. It's a skill that is hard to tune up, but once it is there, it could be the best thing to happen to you. If just one person tries it, thats one more person to be able to relate to others, and just another step to world peace.

No comments: