Monday, February 25, 2008

Early Inspiration in Fantasia

Many, MANY works of art have inspired me throughout my life, varying from all different forms. From "The Baboon and Young," sculpture by Pablo Picasso as one of my favorites at a young age, to my very favorite movie, The Tenth Kingdom. Tons of novels I have read have inspired me as well, such as Huck Finn, To Kill A Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, The Giver, Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, The Narnia Chronicals, or any book by Tamora Pierce. All of which have opened my eyes to new ideas and new ways of thinking. In each one a new "what if?" question arose within me and added new chapters to the expanse of my imagination. Songs and artists have changed my view on the world as well, such as System of a Down, Aesop Rock, The Beatles, Gotye, Sia, Tori Amos, Bjork, Bat for Lashes, Nirvana, The White Stripes, Muse, Led Zeppelin, and tons more. They all pried open my mind to new thoughts and ideas. All changing what is music and what sounds good in my eyes. I was raised of Gilbert and Sullivan, opera, various musicals, and of course classical. Ever since I was young my dad would play these in the car, and I would know every part by heart, singing along to every word. I would often beg to listen to classical though as we drove for long periods of time. I loved to use my imagination and watch the dinosaurs or fairies flying past my car and acting out a story in my mind.
But when I think back to what inspired me the most, it wasn't a painting or a song. As a child, what inspired me the most was the movie Fantasia. I would watch that movie every morning around 5 am, and then over and over for the whole day. I loved the classical music, and was familliar with it all, and I adored every imagination filled part of it. Mickey Mouse was of course one of my favorite characters in it, but it wasn't necessarily my favorite part.
From the beginning, when the visuals are based on the instruments, and the shapes, shadows and movements all depend on the music, I learned to possiblities of synchronizing music to stories, and would create a whole narrative of what the different shadows meant. I still remember all the stories I created with the different songs.
Next came the Nutcracker Suite, and the different pieces from the ballet being interpreted through fish, flowers, fairies, mushrooms, and leaves doing the dances and representing each season through their dances. The beautiful drawings and use of inanimate natural things to have personalities awoke something inside of me as well. I would often afterwards collect leaves and flowers and make them dance along to the music.
Then the Sorcerer's Apprentice which of course made me get excited and talk out loud to Mickey, warning him against using the Sorcerer's hat.
Then came the Rite of Spring, which was always one of my favorites as well. I guess they are all my favorites. Anyway, it always made me cry a ton when I saw the stegasaurus die at the hands of the T Rex. It identified this idea of good and evil, and to this day, when I think of the ideas of good and evil, those dinosaurs come to mind. I had trouble watching the part where the dinosaurs die in the desert, but I would watch it through, crying and humming along.
The Pastoral Symphony was by far my favorite with the flying horses, unicorns, cherubs, and centaurs. This was my very VERY favorite part, and changed me completely. I loved every moment of this part, and as I write this I can hear the instruments playing it. Oh, man was I obsessed with this part. I was inspired to draw as well because of this section, and have strived to learn to draw these characters since I was ten.
Then, of course, is La Gioconda: The Dance of Hours, with the alligators, ostriches, hippos and elephants attempting to all to ballet. I loved this one because of the romances between the alligator and the hippo, being a sucker for romance since I was two years old (according to my mother).
Last, but deffinitely not least, was the Night on Bald Mountain and Ave Maria score. Whenever I had friends over to watch it, they would get terrified at this part, but to me it was enthralling I loved every minute, and it opened my mind to the possibility of different faces of evil having a human emotions. I loved it all, and felt for the giant demon, Chernabog, who appeared, and was always sad when the villagers came with their lights and sang Ave Maria, though it was absolutely beautiful, and I would always cry.
Wow, this is getting really long again, and kind of boring. Oh well. I just loved that movie as kid and have developed to be what I am because of it. I guess its a sorta strange thing for a kid of three or four to be obsessed with, and to understand and feel with the characters.
If you didn't read this all here's the summary in a nutshell: My Inspiration since before I can remember = Fantasia.

2 comments:

garrett said...

this is so long, i dont even have to read this to be able to agree with you, what ever your talking about. your so right and wise.

love
- g bear

Lyndsay said...

Garrett, you hate Fantasia babe...
It makes you sick, remember?

<3