Thursday, March 13, 2008

Writing and Reading

Since I was young I would make up stories in my head, and tell them to my parents perfectly every time. Once I learned to write, it just became worse and worse. Instead of doing assignments in third grade, I would write stories about an elephant who was lost in the woods, or a tiger who was adopted by a bird. Once I was even sent to the principle's office for not following directions and doing the assignment. I had instead been illustrating my story about a puppy who was lost and then adopted by a little girl named Katie. Often, I would tell my mom of all the secret worlds I found, like the city of trolls that lived under the school. Whenever I heard the rumble of the pipes under my feet in the girls bathroom, I would know it was a troll trying to get up through the toilets into our world. My mom would record my stories, and retells me all my ideas and imaginations that I created as a child. She never punished me for not doing my assignments, but instead writing or drawing, seeing it as a good thing that I knew how to express this creativity that I had.
Nowadays, I still have that over active imagination, and as other people in this class might know, its a hard thing to harnass. Espechially when I am bored in class, I have trouble not writing or working on stories. Often I read books under my desks, and get totally immersed in the novel I am reading. As some people become so into a television show they are watching, and can't hear others who are trying to get their attention- It unfortunately happens to me when I read or write.
I usually read novels, but on occasion I may enjoy a short story or poem. The thing is, I enjoy sort of going into other worlds when I read, and to do that, they need to be longer and more engaging. To me, poetry and short stories are too short for me to become emmersed in the story and for my mind to sort of enter the story and watch it happen. Thats also why I write more novels as well, because I get an idea, and only writing a few pages is far from enough for me to properly convey to an reader who might page through. On occasion, I will write a poem, espechially when I am in need of writing something more personal, and less full-on descriptive sorts of things.
90% of all I write is something I come up with on my own, rather than a school-assigned project. I just get ideas in my head, and I have to put them down or else they won't ever stop bothering me. Usually, the stories I work on never get finished, but its fun getting into the story and putting your ideas out there. In a way, its sort of become an addiction, and its gets to be hard to stop writing an idea once I start. Its the same with novels, I can't ever stop reading easily, and have to make myself set a good book down.
God, I am a nerd.
Whenever I do write, I sort of am intruiged by historical fiction, and realistic fiction sorts of novels... but mainly, I like fantasy-type stories. Mainly because I love the imagination that the writers put out there, and my mind just absorbs them like a sponge. I love just thinking of the possibilities, or "What if?" sort of ideas. Like, what if dinosaurs were brought back by scientists, and there was a theme park you could go and see them at? That is, of course, Jurrasic Park, one of my favorite novels and movies. When I read that book, it opened my eyes to the idea of dinosaurs coming back to this world, and the interaction between two very different species, dinosaurs and humans.
So, all in all, fantasy sort of novels are sort of my love in life. You definitely don't need a lover if you have a really good book to read or write. That's my guess.

2 comments:

gabby said...

1. it's sounds like you were a awesome ass little kid
2. i like how you said nowadays
3. i like the line where you proclaim yourself a nerd
4. i like imagining things like you
5. i like dinosaurs too
bye!

Stef said...

Remember... there is nothing wrong with being a nerd.